There was a large quantity of collaborative work I completed this trimester, including the class project and the games group I worked with. Because of this it was important that there were always backups for files and that folder structures were very important. However throughout this trimester I realised I didn’t follow any naming conventions which is something i’ll need to work on improving for next trimester’s work.
For the class creature menagerie project the biggest and most important part of our technical framework was our shared google drive!
Our google drive was always really well organised and that made uploading files for testing and exhibition really easy! However It also helped that my own personal files were organised well.
For the games assets I completed, I uploaded all files to a separate folder on google drive that the games group had access to and had them all organised in my specialisation folder.
What was also important for the games projects was that I created files that were to the right file sizes and specifications that the games group was needing! I was lucky enough that the games group I worked with, didn’t require specifications that were too hard for me to follow for them. For the backgrounds for the game, I was requested to draw them up at 3840 x 2160 (1280 x 720 3 times enlarged). This was so that the images once shrunk down in the final product would appear crisper in the final playthrough. All the backgrounds and assets I created for the game I saved as png’s as they are best for digital images for colour and detail. This was also so that assets that didn’t fill the whole rectangular space of the photoshop canvas would have clear backgrounds in the final pngs. As for naming conventions, the games group didn’t specify that I needed to name them anything in particular, so I stuck to labelling them the same way they described them when giving me my tasks and made sure to not include any spaces in the file names, as I’m aware some programs don’t process files like that.
As for backups, in my 3dsmax settings I always have increment save on so that whenever I save it makes a new file. This means if ever a file corrupts I have older files I can go back and edit.
As for handling different files, I actually created some extra folders in my computer’s folder structure so that final files that would be imported into other programs, (such as fbx or obj files into mudbox or fbx into unreal engine) would be seperated from my working files. What was also important that I was aware of and uploaded properly was the extra folder that is created when you export your final creature animation and model as an fbx. When you export it out, 3dsmax automatically makes you an extra folder including the other parts of the model that might not be directly attatched to it in the 3d scene. In this case, it was the texture that was included in this folder it created, so when I uploaded my creatures files to the drive, I just needed to upload the folder as well so when I imported it, the textures would already be applied to the model in the engine!
As for the audio clips, I just loaded them into a new folder in my college folder so that I knew it was with my other creature menagerie files before I added it to my final animation clip with sound.
Overall, the types of files I have handled and used throughout this project are as follows:
3dsmax scene file
Mudbox scene file
Adobe Photoshop file
Movie Maker Project
MP3 format sound