Hansel and Gretel – Modelling

Creating the Hansel and Gretel Models was something I was nervous about at first, however once I got stuck into the work, I completed it rather quickly! All models for the final scene are created now šŸ™‚ Now they just need unwraps and textures before I place them in all together!

Modelling the characters was challenging, but also fun. Because of my past experience with 3d projects, I found it much easier than I thought I would. The most challenging part of the modelling was modelling the hair for the different characters. I tried a few different ways to make hair, but found that what works best is to build hair directly off of the head topology rather than trying to create it seperately. šŸ™‚

To help my process and refresh my memory of how to start basic models from back when we did the mage, I watched this tutorial and this timelapse of modelling to influence my workflow. I followed the same initial steps that the tutorial used in order to get the general shape of my character, while following the shapes of the reference images I had in the scene. I also used the symmetry modifier for the main part of my base modelling like the tutorial as it made things faster and easier to complete. However on Gretel and the Witch I had to collapse the symmetry eventually so that I could make their hair which was asymmetrical. The timelapse video was a good reference as the modeller of the kiki model was used a simpel stylised texturing method and was modelling very low poly similar to myself. I was inspired by the timelapse video and used the same technique they used for hair on the bangs for my Gretel model.

In order to cut time and make things easier, because I already knew that Hansel and Gretel would look similar and that i’d be having two different versions of the same witch, my first steps for the modelling was to create base models for the children and for the witch. I already had the base models designed and model sheets created for this.

kidsref_base witchref_base

Capture6 Capture10

Creating the bases of the models first just made editing them and changing them all that much easier and made things much faster for me. Below are shots of the final models.

Capture2 Capture3 CaptureCapture4 Capture5 Capture7 Capture8 Capture9

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s